Search

Labels

Followers

Friday, January 8, 2010

How to get lost in Japan!

Today was my first excursion into the city, and as the title suggests, I got quite lost. Luckily, getting lost in a foreign country is incredibly fun (for me at least... your mileage may vary). Now, on with the recipe!

Going from my house to the Inzai Sation was really easy, as my host-mother went with me, and she told me the station I needed to exit at (Mita Station). This is just a straight shot on the Asakusa-line, so it was nearly impossible to screw up.

As soon as I got off the train the fun began. First, I should say that in Japan there are no street names to go by (there are exceptions). Second, in the TUJ handout there is no map from how to get from Mita Station to the campus. Needless to say, I was pretty damn lost before even leaving the station. I'm not sure why, but I figured I should be able to find the school without asking for directions.... right?

Maybe if I was Bear Grylls... After exiting the station I decided to walk down the main road for about 15 or so minutes while looking around for any sign of TUJ. While strolling down the street I noticed the sign for the Mita Police station, but more on this later. After my 15 minute walk, I realized that this was not an effective way to find the campus (not that I really thought that when I started), so I went back to Mita Station to start over.

Upon returning to the station I started searching for some kind of map, and after about 5 minutes I managed to find a map of the surrounding area. On the map there were two important landmarks: 1. Police Boxes 2. Keio University. I figured if I did get lost and could at least get to a police box, they could help direct me to the school (which turned out to be correct). And Keio University happens to be like 3 minutes from Temple's campus, however the map cut off right at Keio, but I didn't know this yet.

So, I went to the nearest police box, and in my best Japanese said that I was lost, and looking for Temple University. The officers just laughed which gave me the feeling that I was not the first student lost and looking for Temple's campus. He proceeded to get out a gigantic map, and show me where we were in relation to the campus, and how to get there. With my new found information I figured I was in good shape, and trotted off after thanking the officer.

Wrong, yet again. Apparently the right turn I took wasn't "right" enough. Basically I went diagonally right, instead of 90 degree right. So I continued on for about 25 minutes in this direction, and finally said to myself that I need to turn around and go back to the crossing. Luckily, the Mita Police Station I mentioned earlier was at this crossing! Lucky for me there were 2 officers walking out of the station, so I approached them, and again in my best Japanese told them I was lost and looking for Temple's campus. The one officer produced a map, and gave directions. I thanked him, and then I was off!

Confident with my new directions, I started down the correct road and made my way to the next turn. My next turn happened to take me to one of the few roads in Japan that actually has a name - Sakuradori (if I remember correctly). After walking for 5 or so minutes, I came across one of the TUJ buildings, however it was the incorrect one. Luckily the building I needed was just down the street, so I proceeded to school and checked in.

Total time being lost: 2 hours

Some things to note: During orientation today, they made Japanese police officers seem like ruthless, heartless, and quite mean spirited to foreigners... After speaking with about 8 officers over the course of the day, I must say that my experience was completely different, and they were all quite nice and helpful. I'd like to contribute that to me using Japanese when speaking with them, however I could be wrong.

I have a feeling that this is just the first in what will be a very long list of "I got lost in Japan" stories. If I had to place a bet, I'd say that it will be this Sunday when headed to the hombu dojo for martial arts.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Keith: I was really excited to read the first blog you have written since being in Japan ! Getting lost in a foreign country, especially one with no street signs, can be scary, intimidating and frustrating. I got lost my first time in Florence, but looking back on it, it made my Italain experience even better. I saw those out of the way places that I would normally have never stumbled upon; like the house that Dante Alighieri was born in !
You will never forget your time in Japan. Don't worry about getting lost. It probably will happen again, but when you can speak their language and are polite to the natives, they will almost always in turn treat you the same way. I am glad that you now know where the TUJ campus is and with every excursion out into the city, your confidence will grow and grow. In not time at all, you will begin to feel less like a foreigner and more like part of the people and the culture.
Please tell your host "mom" and "dad" that your real mom says thank you for taking such good care of you.
Write again soon ! I love reading your blogs.

Love,
Mom

Unknown said...

Gru,

Nice work getting lost in Japan, that makes me fear what would happen should I ever venture out in Japan alone. Probably still be lost the way I am with directions, hell I get lost in America as it is. Keep making plays, do work.

-kr3w

Post a Comment